"On an emotional level, what has this been like for you and the band?" asks a reporter in February 2003.
"the most horrible experience of my life, man," responds Jack Russell, lead singer of the band Great White.The families of the 100 people that died 10 years ago in West Warwick, Rhode Island are also struggling.
California-based Great White had just begun their set, and the band's tour manager Daniel Biechele had set off the three small pyrotechnic canisters that sat at the back of the stage.
The sparks ignited the highly flammable soundproofing foam in the drummer's alcove. To make matters worse, The Station didn't have a sprinkler system installed. Within 6 minutes, the entire building had gone up in flames. People rushed toward the front door trying to get to safety.
Of the 462 people inside the club, 100 died, and 200 more were injured. 162 made it out unharmed. The majority of the deaths were people who had tried to escape through the front door, but became trapped in the small hallway before they could make it outside.
So what changed? In Rhode Island, all venues are now required by law to have working sprinkler systems. But maybe the biggest change is in the mind of the people, paying much closer attention to where the exits are...just in case.
Plans have recently been unveiled for a permanent memorial to be installed at the site.Back to Main Page